Tuesday 9 October 2012

Time Traveling Daddy

Well, this is it.  The end of another chapter in my life.  Yesterday was my last day of parental leave and now I am off to work again.

I can't emphasize enough just how ideal and perfect my time off has been.  I have an awesome job and work with some seriously cool people - some of the best at what they do.  But if I had a DeLorean I'd seriously consider jumpin' in and gunnin' it to 88mph to do it all again.  Hanging out with my family, recalibrating our family after our latest addition, watching said addition grow and develop, strengthening my relationship with my ladies...invaluable and totally enjoyable.

The theory of time travel intrigues me.  I have to admit I've probably given more thought and reading into time travel than the average dude.  As fun as it would be to relive events from my life again and again or experience a completely different time, I have to admit I wouldn't do it. The reason is I'd be shortchanging my own storyline which is now hopelessly and happily entwined with my wife and my girls' story.  To quote Aerosmith, "I don't wanna miss a thing."

You see there are so many diversions available to us without time travel.  However I think time travel would be the ultimate experience in escapism.  But while you hide from the worries and struggles of life you run the risk of missing some of life's greatest, spontaneous joys.  The inexplicable moments that come out of nowhere and just overwhelm you.

I had one today when hearing my daughter reply to me asking if she wanted her jacket (we were going outside).  She nodded her head and with a nonchalance and coolness beyond her mere three years of age replied, "Sure."  There was something about her tone...something that gave me a glimpse of the future.  Maybe it was a hint of the her emerging personality shining through that I projected to give me an image of the type of woman she will become.  Whatever it was, I was filled with joy and hope for her future.  I couldn't help but beam and think about how exciting it will be to watch my girls grow.  What will they do?  What will they become?  Will they still like making picks together (we sit down each week, go through the NFL football schedule and pick who we think will win each game)?  I don't know, but I'll be there each step of the way.

On second thought I would definitely be a chrononaut...if I could bring my wife and daughters with me.  There's nowhere in space-time I'd rather be than with them.






No comments:

Post a Comment