Thursday 4 October 2012

Ready Or Not

Something a little different happened yesterday when I dropped my daughter off at school.  For the first couple of weeks of the school year I waited with her until the bell rang and her class was headed inside before leaving.  Despite my reassurances that I wouldn't leave until she had gone in and unmoved by my encouragement to go play with her friends, she opted to wait by my side until the bell rang.  This went on for days, each day I urged her to go and play, and each day she decided to stay with me.  I asked her if everything was alright on the playground, concerned that something might have happened to make her not want to be there.  She said no, she just liked being with me.  How sweet!  Eventually she started taking the bus and so it ceased to be an issue.

We had a late night on Tuesday and so we let her sleep in a little bit yesterday at the price of missing the bus.  Therefore it was off to school I went.  So we arrive at the school and before we get out of the car she says to me, "Daddy...I don't want you to stay today."

"You mean you just want me to walk you to the playground, give you a kiss and leave?"  I wanted to clarify what she wanted.  "Yes," she replied.  I said, "okay" and asked if she still wanted me to give her a kiss before I left, to which she responded favorably.  Whew!!

It's not the first time one of our children have exercised their independence, but it never fails to create a strange concoction of emotions.  A swell of pride mixed with a healthy dose of a crumbling heart.  Time marches forward, ready or not.

1 comment:

  1. That reminds me of when you were in grade one. I had walked you to school each day when towards the end of the school year you let me know you were alright to walk by yourself. You probably were alright for a long time but maybe you just humoured me by letting me walk you.
    You're so right...time marches forward, ready or not!
    Love you!
    --Mom

    ReplyDelete