Sunday 3 March 2013

Ode to Lego



Evie's first Lego creation - the tractor!

Ah the fun continues in the Gideon household.  As the girls get older they develop interests that I too find...well, interesting.   Don't get me wrong, trains, ponies, princesses and dogs all have their appeal and will always hold a special place in my memory...even when Lex and I are bopping around on our own (which happens on the rare occasion) I still find myself spotting and pointing out any item loosely related to royalty or canines.

But now the girls have entered a whole new phase of phases...phases that equally intrigue me.  First it was football, then Star Wars and now Lego.  Let me tell you Lego has gotten way cooler since I was kid.  I was somewhat aware of this fact because my nephews are Lego fanatics - in fact you may remember some of their work as featured my A Little Weekend Inspiration blog post.  I am now fully aware and trying hard not restrain myself from spending a small fortune indulging my...I mean Evie and Noli's budding Lego phase.  

I went and picked up a starter pack for my girls last weekend and let me tell you the number of Lego sets I almost got...the Millennium Falcon was almost mine...and I might have shared it with Evie and Noli.  But I restrained myself and got the girls a good starter kit which the dove into.  Above is Evie's first Lego creation.  It was fun watching her put it together.  I think Lego, beyond an excellent way to develop the imagination, develops perseverance and a sense of delayed gratification.  I could see the wheels turning in her head, watched as she struggled to piece the little pieces together and celebrated with her when she finished and was able to enjoy the fruits of her labour.

Lego is great for encouraging creativity and developing a child's dexterity, work ethic and patience.  And let's face it, it's a ton of fun for child and Daddy alike and a great way to spend time with the kids.


Noli's space capsule and first Lego creation (top view).


Noli's space capsule (side view).



1 comment:

  1. we are very proud - see you at the competition!!!

    Love - the boys

    ReplyDelete