Thursday 28 March 2013

Almost Good Friday

Tomorrow is Good Friday.  For those of you who may not have heard the story, it is the day Christians remember how Jesus was crucified for our sins. I have always felt a bit strange calling this holiday good, because it represents something so grisly and sad. Jesus, the perfect representation of God as man dying for our sins so that we no longer need to pay for them with blood, how sad for him. But so great for us! 


The hardest part about being a Christian today is the often inaccurate connotations that come with; ultra-conservative, homophobic, stupid, and perhaps worst of all judgemental. Of course there are Christians who have views like that, which is not in line with Biblical teaching, but so do many other people who are not Christian. We're not all Confederate flag wavers, I even vote Green Party (okay I used to vote Green party in college now I'm more of a Liberal).

Being a Christian gives me hope for life beyond this world and help and true life (life to the full) while in this world.  I become better when I attend church, do bible studies, tithe, and read my bible (although I'm not perfect at any of these I'm being refined - it's no longer I that liveth...). The Bible instructs me that my life's goal should not be to strive for things that are fleeting or unimportant, which makes it easier to pass on life's trappings (most of the time).  Philippians 4:11
 - Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learnt, in whatsoever state I am, [therewith] to be content. 

Of course I have had negative experiences in the Christian community too; something I share with many people who have left the church. Looking back I see that those times really refined me and my family's beliefs and practises. Even though at the time it seemed arbitrary and pointless on the other side of pain comes great clarity and certainty.

 If there are any people reading this that are wondering what life is like being a Christian, I would encourage you to check out your local church this Friday and see for yourself if we indeed live up to our reputation. I hope you will be pleasantly surprised. 

Galatians 2:20 - I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.






No comments:

Post a Comment