Friday 29 March 2013

Happy Birthday Noli!!

March 30, 2009

Well another year has come and gone and my middlin' baby is turning four years old tomorrow!!  It is truly unbelievable how fast time goes.  Sometimes it's hard to remember what life is like without my kids or how we even got here (well...I know how we got here, obviously).  It's fun to reminisce and look back over the past few years and think about how our family has changed and how our family has changed us.

I remember before Evie was born asking my wife, "What if our baby doesn't like me?  What if I'm just no good at being a Dad?"  I was legitimately terrified - I think it was one of the first times in my life, in recent memory, when I felt completely inadequate and unprepared.

Thankfully Lex and I make a darn good team and we've both proven to be pretty good at this family thing, if I do say so myself.  We keep each other together especially when the other is about to fly apart.  The amazing thing about kids is that they love you anyway - if you're putting forth any effort at all they think the world of you because really you are their world, at least for the first few years.  

Noli - she's my little buddy and I'm a sucker for her (for all my girls really).  For some reason she really likes to hang-out with me.  Doesn't really matter where we're going, she wants to tag along.  Sometimes she asks me to take her to work with me to which I honestly reply, "Trust me, you wouldn't have fun there."

This is the first time her birthday has fallen on Easter, but it's neat and I'll tell you why.  Being a Father has given me more insight than I would have anticipated into the true essence of Love and in fact into the nature of God.  

As I was preparing for Noli's birthday, buying presents and decorating, I can't help but want to lavish her with gifts, good things and all the things she enjoys.  It's not out of obligation, guilt or a desire to give her the latest gizmos.  Rather it's a natural outpouring of my love - a tangible demonstration of how much I love her.  It doesn't matter how much my kids drive me crazy...just tonight Noli darn well drove me mad...doesn't matter, I just want her to feel special and blessed.  I want that for all my girls and hopefully not just on their birthdays - I hope they know how much I love them and how much I want  good things for them.

Sometimes I have a hard time comprehending or accepting that God feels that way about me...about us.  I'm fine...things are going well enough.  Isn't that good enough?  I don't want or need more.  But that doesn't stop God from wanting to pour out more blessings, pressed down, shaken together and running over.  Not because he has to, not because of anything I've done to deserve it.  Just because that's his nature and he loves us.  Life and life to the full (over-filling) can be ours.

Kids are wonderful - I love my girls.  I hope my little buddy has a wonderful birthday!!


No comments:

Post a Comment