Friday 1 February 2013

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year



Yes my friends this is the weekend we've all been waiting for...the Super Bowl!!  I haven't missed watching a Super Bowl since 1991...I watched the quarter or so of the Bills/Giants game, saw the kick go wide right and have been hooked ever since.

For sure the Super Bowl doesn't always live up to its name, especially in the '90s when it seemed like it was a blow-out almost every year.  But the last decade of Super Bowls have been spectacular I'd say with some real classics and I'm hoping this year's bout between the Ravens and '49ers is as good as I'm expecting.

Who do I think is going to win?  I really don't have a clue - my girls are pulling for the Ravens and so I think I will too.  They've a few players I'd like to see get a ring as well.  Boldin, Reed, Oher and Rice to name a few.  I like the way they play - full speed ahead, full of heart and grit without a lot of nonsense.  John Harbaugh, their coach, seems cool and even.  His approach seems very leveled.  The fact the team name has its origins in literature is pretty cool too - they're named after the Edgar Allan Poe poem, "The Raven."

To be honest I wouldn't mind seeing the '49ers win either though.  They too have some great players that would be nice to see get a ring.  Randy Moss, despite all of his past-antics, has been a great player and I'd like to see him light it up one more time.  Their young QB Colin Kaepernick  has a good story and seems like a good guy. Carlos Rogers has been one of my faves since coming into the league (drafted by my favourite team the Redskins).  And Frank Gore has consistently been one of the most dependable and under-rated RBs in the league over the past few years.  Jim Harbaugh, their coach, is emotional, fiery and fun to watch (and was a guest star on Saved by the Bell many moons ago).

I like these types of Super Bowls because I'll be happy regardless of who wins...as any true football fan, all I want is a great, hard fought game by both teams.  I think that's what we'll get.

I often have called it my second or third favourite holiday behind Christmas and possibly Home Coming weekend when I was at Queen's - I know neither the SB nor HC are official holidays (heck, Home Coming doesn't even exist at Queen's anymore).  And while it is one of my favorite weekends, it's also a little sad because after Sunday there will be no more football (NFL) for eight long, dark and cold months.  But I won't dwell on that here...not now.  Not when we have one more glorious game to experience and much frivolity to partake in.

As  I have been the last 5 years or so, I'll be taking in the game with my brother-in-law and nephews.  This year my ladies will be joining in, at least until they're too tired to go on.  My wife will make some taco salad, we'll order some wings, and have some chips and soda.  There might even be a cake this year at Noli's request.  Who knows, we might even be able to squeeze in a game of our own before the party begins.  I can't wait!!

And to close off tonight, the poem that inspired the Ravens moniker...sleep tight.




1 comment:

  1. Just left your fantastic party... Grandpa, Uncle Ryan and Daddy.... what a blessing for my kids to be with wonderful and Godly men, watching such a fun game.

    Go Ravens!!!

    ReplyDelete