Wednesday 20 February 2013

February Blah

Well, I'm ready for Spring.  I'm not usually one to complain too much about the weather or the season.  It all shall pass in its own good time and as I get older I find time slips by fast enough without me fixating on tomorrow.  I figure it's best to enjoy today, cold and all and take it as it comes.

BUT I must say I'm ready for Spring.  This year I definitely feel the Winter Blahs...do you know that feeling?  I don't suffer from annual Winter depression or anything like that I just feel in a rut this month.  It's a pretty good rut to be sure as the family is healthy and generally happy, work is good, and I don't have much to complain about.  So I won't complain but I will say I've been feeling pretty darn wiped the past few weeks and am looking forward to a change in the weather.  Sure nicer weather won't mean the kids will sleep any better but it'll make getting up a little nicer even if I'm waking up even more tired than when I went to bed.  A little sun, warmth, and open windows would do the mind good and soul good.  The monotony of the Canadian winter is wearing me down this year and I look forward to not bundling up every time I need to step outside to shovel the driveway for the 10th time or chop blocks of ice away from my back door so I can let the dog out or to simply take the (stinking) compost out.  I look forward to complaining about having to put up the eaves trough (that the ice tore down earlier this winter) and cutting the grass and the endless gardening and little home repairs that are already filling out my "honey-do" list (such as repair the mortar on the chimney - which I probably should have done in the Autumn).

For now I'll take solace in the words from Ecclesiastes 3 and popularized by the Birds that reminds us that there is a time for everything:

1   There is a time for everything,
    and a season for every activity under the heavens:
    a time to be born and a time to die,
    a time to plant and a time to uproot,
    a time to kill and a time to heal,
    a time to tear down and a time to build,
    a time to weep and a time to laugh,
    a time to mourn and a time to dance,
    a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
    a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
    a time to search and a time to give up,
    a time to keep and a time to throw away,
    a time to tear and a time to mend,
    a time to be silent and a time to speak,
    a time to love and a time to hate,
    a time for war and a time for peace.

What do workers gain from their toil? 10 I have seen the burden God has laid on the human race. 11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet[a] no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end. 12 I know that there is nothing better for people than to be happy and to do good while they live. 13 That each of them may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all their toil—this is the gift of God. 14 I know that everything God does will endure forever; nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it. God does it so that people will fear him.

15 Whatever is has already been,
    and what will be has been before;
    and God will call the past to account.
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment