Monday 26 November 2012

Thoughts on Alberta's New Anti-Bullying Law

Yeah, there's a problem with today's youth.  Perhaps it's not a problem limited to youth but definitely the ramifications of the problem seem to be magnified and compounded by the highly emotional state that youth find themselves in.  Bullying.

In the past the solutions were pretty simplistic.  The notion that "sticks and stones may break some bones but names will never hurt me" was a popular refrain among my peers.  The Berenstain Bears taught us that though it's not very nice, teasing is a part of life...and that we shouldn't be too sensitive.

All very sensible advice focused on encouraging the victim to toughen up, roll with the punches and let things slide.  Problem is, it doesn't work with everyone.  There are those that have the right disposition for this approach which I thinks takes a certain amount of internal strength and confidence combined with positive external influences (like parents and friends to some extent).

The sad thing is I'm not sure we're fostering the time environment that builds relationships and community cohesiveness.  Back in the day teasing was just as much a part of life - though I think we were able to get away from it easier - the internet and social media weren't so pervasive.  The thing is I remember my friends having my back and me theirs when need be.  Many kids don't have a support system - they feel alone which is a shame. And so we try to legislate kids to do the right thing and stand up for each other.  In the void of real relationships we attempt to create the defense mechanism that comes so naturally when you're part of a cohesive community.  

Alberta, in the education act, has a section (31) that if interpreted literally, would hold bystanders liable for not getting involved.

I just don't think it's going to work.  I believe we should look out for one another.  We need more people to get involved when they see something not right going down.  But I think we need to do more to build those relationships and that community, then we will see the desired results.  We'll see people standing up for one another.  We'll notice that we aren't as alone as we thought. 

We need to tell our kids to put down their devices and start to build real relationships.  They need to understand that knowing everything about someone is not the same thing as knowing them.  Heck, maybe we ought to start at home and unplug while the family is around.  Revolutionary, I know.

I see the new part of the education act as simply treating a symptom while ignoring the main issue.  Until we treat the issue, bullying is just going to get worse.  The more disconnected we become, the easier it is to trash someone and the easier it is to walk on by when someone else is getting trashed. 

It's a sorry state of affairs and I worry about my girls but know that they'll at least have a good home to take refuge in.  Is it the answer to bullying?  Maybe...it's a start I think. 

A little more of the golden rule, a little more turning the other cheek and a lot more love for one another would go a long way.


3 comments:

  1. great post - such a tough issue. Can we legally compel children to compassion... I doubt it.

    2 Corinthians 12:10
    That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

    Tough teaching from St. Paul - who went from bully to bullied.... I am not sure I can truly say I am with him on it. I shelter my kids, myself...

    Tricky stuff for sure.

    Love - kath

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure, I find myself at odds with myself when it comes to teaching my girls about bullying. It's a delicate balance for as much as I want them to be strong and confident enough in their own weakness to repeatedly turn the other cheek, no one wants their child to be on the short end of the stick all the time. I don't want them to get walked over and taken advantage of - but on the flip side I want the to be discerning about the battles they choose to fight. Most times a calm answer can turn away wrath and bullying...but it takes a strong kid to be able to do it repeatedly without being worn down, discouraged and broken.

      Thanks for the comment Kath.

      Delete
  2. I had to send this link along - it is an implication in Alberta with regards to the charter of rights and freedoms that effects homeschoolers in particular - It is really an issue of freedom of religion - have a listen.

    It is a pretty leading interview with CBC demonizing the Christian lawyer... pretty standard fare these days. As Chesterton would say, "there is no stick to poor to beat Christianity with."

    http://podcast.cbc.ca/mp3/podcasts/current_20121114_79133.mp3

    ReplyDelete