Tuesday 6 November 2012

Ryan the Tool Man?

I love home ownership.  I'll tell you why, because it forces you to become a handy-man.  It's great being able to work on something in the house and know that I can do whatever I want to it because it's mine.  I woke up one morning in the spring, felt a little restless and so I decided to knock a wall down.  Not just any wall, the first wall you see when you enter the front door. Since I've moved into this house, I've done my fair share of painting, plumbing, electrical work, wood work, demolition, construction and all around general labour.  Before this summer when I built my own fence, the last big woodworking project I undertook was when I was six years old and built a toy helicopter out of scrap pieces of wood. 

I'm not saying my craftsmanship is top notch, definitely not at a professional level, but I generally get the job done - even if it doesn't always look the prettiest.  Then there are other times that I'll work a couple of days on trying to solve a problem - like the clogged basement sink that I took the completely apart including the plumbing - only to have to end up calling in a pro.  But even then, I end up knowing a lot more than I did when I started.

I love the projects that I don't even know are coming.  Like the other day when my wife and I went to Ikea to buy a shelf and ended up walking out with a new ceiling light for the dining room.  I didn't even know we were considering replacing the 40 year old chandelier that was hanging in the dining room...I thought we liked that ol' thing.  Well, now we have a little more modern "pendant" light.  Very chic.

As I sit here and feel good about my ability to play with electricity and hook up a light, I realize just how much more needs doing around here.  Yes - owning a house is great blessing...a privilege.  And like all privileges it comes with a lot of responsibility.  Sometimes we let our blessings become burdens - but it's all perspective.  I'm blessed with a house - work and all.  I'm also lucky that once in awhile that work includes taking an axe to a wall or a chainsaw to the logs in my backyard...fun stuff!

GRUNT GRUNT GRUNT!!







No comments:

Post a Comment