Friday 23 November 2012

Black Friday Indeed

Every year we hear in Canada about the legendary "shopping holiday" Black Friday. The deals the steals, the longer store hours, and of course a few people being trampled to death in a mob of shoppers bent on getting a deal. In my mind this is what Hell might be like. A mindless mob.

Of course retailers in Canada want a piece of that action too. But I for one am very grateful that Black Friday has not yet seeped into the Canadian culture entirely; although I think it won't take too long. It's not that I don't like sales or shopping or any of that, it's just that when it comes at the expense of an actual holiday it makes me cringe. It seems ironic to me that Thanksgiving and Black Friday are even in the same month.  Thanksgiving is a holiday that symbolizes contentment, peace, sharing, love, family, and plenty. Black Friday can be characterized as one big pushing, shoving, buying, lending, debt-bacle.

I would urge my American brothers and sisters and any Canadian defectors not to be lulled into such a silly marketing scheme, and to instead rest and let the thanksgiving coma take hold until Black Friday passes over.





2 comments:

  1. whatever Ryan - come clean - you HATE shopping and sales and all that. As we should....

    I am with you my brother.

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its true, I was trying to appeal to a broader audience.

      Delete