Wednesday 2 October 2013

Happy Belated Birthday to the Daddy Blog!!



Doh!!  I can't believe I missed marking the one year mark of my blog.  I posted my first blog September 26th, 2012 and I'm still going.  Maybe not as frequently as my wife says I should but I'm doing it baby!!  123 posts in a year, that works out to one every three days or so.  That's not too bad for a daddy of three with a full time job and all the other stuff that we have going on.

Let me tell you something, blogging is a lot harder than I anticipated.  Writing is not a simple matter.  I've had a ton of ideas of things to write about that have never made it to this blog because some nights I'm just too dog-gone tired to write (or lazy) and other nights the right words just aren't coming to me so a post gets left unfinished and unpublished.

I once read in a book that 80% of people claim to want to write a book but a ridiculously small number of people begin and an even fewer number finish.  Many people apparently begin writing a book, get a good chunk of the way through it and then let wallow in the sea of unfinished works.  Why?
Because writing is hard.  Coming up with topics and expressing them in such a way that captures the nuances of the thought and the essence of the idea that has seeded itself in the brain is hard!  But it's so rewarding when it comes together and excellent fun to boot.

I have a confession - I've been working on a book.  In fact the book was the impetus for me blogging; it provides me an opportunity to practice writing and develop my writing style.  I've been working on the book for over a year now, I've lost track of the number of drafts I've done, but it's finally ready to be sent out to publishers for their consideration.  In the book I explore some thoughts and rant about topics more thoroughly than I could in a blog.  This blog is like a rambling brook running through a quiet meadow, it's quick, fun and refreshing whereas the book is more of a well still fun and refreshing but deeper and more satisfying.  To be honest it seems like a bit of a pipe dream but I'm pretty proud of it and at the very least my girls will have a keepsake that captures my experiences, observations and approach to fathering.  I mainly wrote it for my girls, but if you're lucky maybe you'll get a chance to read it too.  Actually if you do get and take the chance to read it, then I'd be the lucky one.  Here's hoping!!






2 comments: