Thursday 8 August 2013

Summer travels

This summer the family embarked on a bit of a road trip to Brantford Ontario to see my family. This trip has been long overdue. I think it would be fair to say that we are crappy at visiting our out of town family. But that doesn't mean we love them less than our near family. We just aren't a big travelling family. It doesn't help that our kids have always held an adversarial mindset towards their car seats. Evie correctly noted this last trip that Mimi's car seat was her biggest enemy. It certainly seemed that way as she pulled, screamed, and flailed at the straps that held her safely and securely in place. I give her lots of credit for how hard she tried to bust out of that thing.

Travelling woes aside we did have a pretty great trip; and compared to our other babies past road trips Mimi actually did relatively well. She slept for about 70 percent of the driving, and when she wasn't sleeping it gave us extra incentive to stop and get out along the way and sight see.

Our favourite stop by far is Kingston Ontario. Both Lex and I went to school there, met there, got engaged there, started out lives together there, so it's really is special to us. I love watching our kids explore the city and wonder around our old haunts. While there I usually try to enforce/cram the idea into the girls that Queens University is the best place on earth and that although they can choose to go anywhere they want, it really wouldn't be wise to do so. Of course I'm getting ahead of myself, and I am totally kidding,,,,sort of.

Once we got to Brantford we had a wonderful time visiting family, swimming at the hotel and letting the kids hang out with their cousins. They all get along well and I can see so many similarities between them. Despite the distance they all look and talk the same way. However our kids are notably more loud and lawless than the Brantford bunch. We even got to see my younger sister who now lives and works with her husband as Salvation Army officers in Goderich Ontario. Goderich claims to have the best donuts in Canada and I must say I have to agree and unlike some artisan bakeries in Ottawa they don't charge a fortune for them.
Kingston Court house

City park formerly known as pervert park (don't ask why).


Im free!!

Noli being sad for the unknown soldier.


Passenger driving position

More driving



I think we will try to make this trip a summer tradition, as it went so well. We make so many memories when we go that the girls will have for their whole lives. Plus who wouldn't want to visit Wayne Gretzky's home town?

No comments:

Post a Comment