Tuesday 4 June 2013

To Sleep...To Dream


It took my wife all of a day and a half to track down a new bed to replace our busted down pseudo-trampoline.  Despite my attempts to convince her that my patch job would do the trick, she opted for a new (to us) bed.  Of course she consulted with me before purchasing the bed...kind of.  She agreed to buy it, set up a delivery and told me about it the evening before they were to deliver it.  I had a choice...I could have called the seller and said we had changed our mind.  But I didn't.


So the bed arrives and I spend some time, maybe half an hour taking the old bed apart and carrying it downstairs.  Then I take the next forty-five minutes or so putting the new bed together (which included dropping a vital part into the hollow frame of the bed with the only way to get it out being fishing it out with some tweezers through a hole just large enough to allow the thing to drop into it in the first place). Upon almost having the bed together my wife comes upstairs and stands in the doorway.  I can tell her demeanor that something isn't quite right.  "You don't like it?" I asked the question already knowing and fearing the answer.  "I think I made a mistake..."


Before putting the bed together I jokingly stated that the new bed frame had the exact part that was broken on the old bed and thus I could simply replace the broken part and keep our bed.  Well, this option was beginning to look mighty appealing to my wife as I neared the finished product and she asked if I thought I could do that.  "You mean you want me to take this bed apart [the new bed] take it downstairs, then bring the old bed back up and put it back together, now?  No."  I usually don't flat out refuse or dismiss my wife's suggestions - I don't consider it a policy congruent with a happy peaceful household.  In this case though I had to decline her suggestion.  I stated that we should leave the new bed set up for a couple of days, test it out and then revisit our decision then.  She turned away and sadly descended the stairs to await the completion of her bed.


I knew I had to make this work, simply because I was tired and didn't want to have to switch the beds that I had just switched.  So I spent the next hour or so (maybe a little less) rearranging and cleaning the bedroom - with the help of Evie who offered her bunk in her room to Mommy if Mommy didn't like her new bed.  Evie really liked it.  So then I called to my wife and held my breath.

She entered the room and let her gaze slowly drift around the room.  Then she smiled.  She SMILED and I let out a sigh of relief.  She likes it, she really likes it, (still) like Mikey likes Life cereal.  And thus concludes the tale of how we got a new bed.

Mimi approved!


1 comment:

  1. I love the bed. It is perfect. Very mamasoule-ish

    I also love mimi.

    ReplyDelete