Tuesday 18 December 2012

More Blessed to Give Than to Receive



I don't watch a lot of television.  In fact our little 13 inch television circa the turn of the century broadcasts the same amount of channels as the cardboard box in our drive-way waiting to be recycled - zero.  We don't have cable or subscribe to any movie providers on the net and one of the main reasons we don't is because of the commercials.  Not because they're annoying but because they tend to propagate materialistic values that we would prefer to keep away from the girls as much as possible.  To be sure the girls are still exposed to them, it's nearly impossible not to be, but it is much more controlled and intentional most of the time - at least they're not inundated with commercial messages on a regular basis.

I do get my fix for television through the net (especially football) and of course commercials have invaded the net and you can no longer watch videos or highlights without being forced to view an ad or two (forced may be a strong word, no one is holding me down forcing me to watch these things...).

One of the things I've noticed this holiday season, in the commercials I've seen, is an emphasis on getting the things I want...in fact one of the slogans is, "I want that," or something to that effect.  Whatever happened to the commercials that promoted getting the perfect gift for that special someone...someone else?  Oh they're still out there...but I've been shocked with the blatant appeal to selfish greed over thoughtful blessings.  Maybe I'm just getting old and sensitive and maybe I've just never noticed before.  Or maybe I'm onto something here.



I'm not even sure what I want this year...but I have a ton of ideas for my ladies.  I sure have fun thinking up gift ideas that will really put smiles on the faces of certain someones in my life.  My wife is pretty prescriptive when it comes to gifts (which is good because it saves me from having to exchange that horrid sweater I would have picked out for her).  But I love finding something that she isn't even expecting and thinking about her reaction...like I did today...I can't tell you what it is in-case she overhears but I think it's nice.  It's not extravagant or especially fancy or anything like that (so don't get too excited sweetie), but I think it's great.  I do the same with my girls - I like to try to find something that will give them pause in the carnage that is Christmas morning, smile and wonder how I knew that they would like it even though they hadn't even thought about it themselves...maybe they're too young to connect the dots, but I like to give them a gift that shows them that I've been thinking about them...that they're on my mind all the time as I walk through my day.  There's no place I'd rather be than with my ladies, day in and day out, but that's just not possible presently - but I'd like them to know that I carry them around with me in my heart and mind each day.

I like getting presents, I do.  But for me there's nothing better than seeing a loved one's face light up after opening a gift from me, not because they're awed by the "coolness" of the latest gadget that in 4 months will be another outdated piece of trash, but rather because they are filled with the joy of knowing that they are cherished, adored and loved.

Gifts given in this spirit remind me of a gift we received from someone who gave because there was no other place He wanted to be than with us...and us with Him.




No comments:

Post a Comment