Sunday 16 December 2012

Can I Hide

In the wake of the Connecticut shooting I wanted to take a pause and try to hash out some of my feelings about the horror that happened there. When I first found out about the little children that had died I was nauseous. The Bible verse that came into my head (and often does when I hear about tragedy) was, "My God my God why have you forsaken me!" Of course this did not touch my life in a direct way; but initially I could not help feeling abandoned by our Lord. That  somehow God must have said, "Forget it they're all too messed up for me to deal with anymore." For how could this happen on his Earth? How can little children be fodder for this reigning evil?

I switch back and forth from turning away from the news and then turning it on just to be disgusted again. Does engaging in the information about this Honor their memory, or does the crass coverage of the information sensationalize it?  I don't know.

For now I will pray for peace in our world in the midst of pain and sorrow...and hold my family closer.

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33



No comments:

Post a Comment