Sunday 2 December 2012

Golden Weekend


Ah...another weekend come and gone.  What a great weekend.  My 'rents were visiting and brought along my nephews and niece.  They only live six hours away, but we just don't see them enough.  On our end, our kids make travel difficult.  Not so much the two oldest...but the baby.  None of our babies have enjoyed traveling.  In fact they have each hated it with our newest having the strongest negative reaction to the car-seat than either of the first two.

I don't know about these stories of parents using the car as a means of soothing a cranky baby - to me that's as much a myth or as the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.  I sure would like to believe it...but...

It is such a joy though when we're all able to get together.  The girls love seeing their cousins and have a blast playing with them.  What makes it even more fun is when my nephews and niece from my wife's side of the family is around too - it does my heart good to see my girls with both sets of cousins and with everyone playing and getting along.  It's important to build those connections with the extended family.  It gives them a sense of the family's heritage and identity.  I think it makes them feel a part of something larger than themselves and builds cohesiveness.

I'm grateful to the family we have in town and for my parents taking the time to come and visit when they can - and for bringing the kids.  It's wonderful!  And now I'm off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment